As I read Mosiah 3 this morning, I found myself wondering what King Benjamin had been praying about. The chapter doesn't tell us directly, but if the angel's message was God's answer, perhaps we can glimpse the questions that weighed on the king's heart.
Was he burdened by the wickedness of his people? We all tend to think of "the world" as the little corner we can see and understand. At least, that's what I do.
A couple of years ago, I saw something disturbing on the news. It was only a brief snapshot of the evil in our world, but it stayed with me. I went to bed thinking about it and woke the next morning with the same images still on my mind.
Then I wondered: What was it like for Jesus? He didn't see one troubling news story. He saw every act of wickedness that ever was or ever would be. He also saw every broken heart, every injustice, every loss, every sorrow. When I think about the trials my own children and grandchildren have faced, my heart aches. Jesus carried the weight of every one of His Father's children. No wonder His suffering in Gethsemane was beyond our comprehension.
King Benjamin reminds us that Jesus would be born, live among men, suffer, die, and rise again the third day. Because of all He experienced, He alone can judge us perfectly. He knows why I stumble. He knows what will help me repent. He knows my strengths, my desires, and the gifts He has given me. That thought brings me tremendous comfort.
King Benjamin also warns about open rebellion against God. What would that look like? It would mean turning away from my testimony of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and choosing another path. The thought feels so foreign to me. I honestly don't know what I would do with my life without the gospel. The things of the world simply don't compare with the joy the Savior has given me. "Men are, that they might have joy." The Gospel brings me joy!
Then comes one of the most quoted verses in all of scripture:
"For the natural man is an enemy to God..." (Mosiah 3:19)
King Benjamin doesn't leave us there. He teaches us how to overcome the natural man: become as a little child—submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, and willing to submit to the Lord.
Finally, I noticed how concerned King Benjamin was about the fairness of God's judgment. What about little children who die before they can choose? What about those who never hear the gospel? The angel's message answers those questions too. The Atonement of Jesus Christ reaches every circumstance that would otherwise seem unfair.
Perhaps those were the very things King Benjamin had been praying to know. If so, Mosiah 3 is much more than a sermon. It is the answer to a prophet's heartfelt prayer.
What a treasure!

No comments:
Post a Comment