Total Pageviews

Friday, June 26, 2026

Preserved

Today I finished the Words of Mormon and began Mosiah - a serious mood change. It feels like the middle of the Book of Mormon, even though it really isn't. Mormon is preparing to close his record after witnessing the destruction of nearly his entire civilization. Imagine carrying that burden. Yet his message isn't one of despair. It is one of faith.

Mormon reminds us that every prophecy concerning the Savior's first coming was fulfilled. Because God kept those promises, Mormon had complete confidence that every prophecy still awaiting fulfillment would also come to pass. The scriptures don't simply tell us what happened long ago—they help us understand where we stand in the Lord's plan today.

Then Mormon makes a remarkable statement: not even a hundredth part of his people's history could be written. That stopped me. If President Nelson could share only one-hundredth of his lifetime of teaching, we would lose almost everything he has given us. No wonder every page of the Book of Mormon feels so rich. It is a carefully chosen witness, boiled down to the truths the Lord knew we would need. Someday we'll learn the rest. That thought is exciting.

King Benjamin understood the same principle. As he prepared his sons to lead, he first taught them language so they could read the scriptures and understand the prophecies. He taught them their history and the commandments recorded on the plates. Why? So they would not "suffer in ignorance."

That phrase struck me. King Benjamin knew that ignorance isn't harmless. Truth protects us. History teaches us. Covenants anchor us. Parents who teach their children the gospel aren't restricting their freedom—they're giving them the knowledge they'll need to make wise choices.

Later King Benjamin speaks of those who reject God's commandments and says the Lord will "no more preserve them by his matchless and marvelous power." At first that sounds harsh. But perhaps preservation has always come through obedience. The commandments aren't arbitrary rules; they are loving protection. As we keep our covenants, we place ourselves where the Lord can guide, strengthen, and preserve us.

Benjamin also gave his people a new name. That made me think about the names I bear. I have a given name and a family name that connect me to people I love. But the name I treasure most is the name of Jesus Christ. Each Sunday, as I partake of the sacrament, I willingly take His name upon me again. I belong to Him. He knows me. He paid the price to redeem me.

The scriptures preserve God's word. Our covenants preserve our relationship with Him. And the name of Christ reminds us whose we are.

Those are the things that keep us from drifting. Those are the things that preserve us.

No comments:

Post a Comment