This morning's study took an unexpected turn.
I began reading Jacob 2, certain I knew where my thoughts would lead. Jacob's words are powerful. As the newly appointed prophet, he stands before his people carrying a heavy burden. The Lord has shown him the wickedness in their hearts, and Jacob admits that it causes him to shrink with shame. I found myself wondering if modern prophets ever feel something similar as they confront the spiritual struggles of our day.
Jacob speaks boldly, not because he enjoys correction, but because he feels the pain of innocent wives and children who are suffering because others have wandered from the covenant path. That thought touched me. There have been times when I have gone to church or opened the scriptures praying that the Lord would speak to my own struggles. It is a beautiful thing when we have eyes to see that He has answered those prayers.
Much of Jacob's message centers on pride. Some of the people had become prosperous and began to trust in their riches rather than in God. It is a recurring pattern throughout scripture. Again and again, individuals and entire nations are blessed, become prideful, and eventually fall. Jacob's warning is simple and timeless: riches are not the problem. The problem comes when we seek riches before seeking the kingdom of God. When God comes first, our blessings become tools for serving His children rather than monuments to ourselves.
As I studied, I felt impressed to revisit President Dallin H. Oaks' recent BYU address. Interestingly, he referenced President Ezra Taft Benson's classic talk on pride. President Oaks emphasized that humility is the antidote. One of the ways we develop humility is by focusing less on ourselves and more on the needs of others.
I was struck by his description of humility as a "master virtue" that helps us develop many other Christlike attributes. He also quoted President Spencer W. Kimball, who described humility as teachableness, repentance, forgiveness, and freedom from contention or the need for recognition. What a remarkable list of qualities.
President Oaks also expressed concern for those whose faith is wavering. His counsel was practical and hopeful: draw closer to the Savior, associate with faithful believers, renew covenants weekly, attend the temple regularly, serve others, and be patient with yourself and with those around you.
One statement especially stayed with me: "Keep humble and balance in all things." Balance has never been easy for me, but perhaps balance becomes easier when Christ is at the center.
By the end of my study, I realized that Jacob and President Oaks were teaching the same lesson from different perspectives. Jacob warns us about the dangers of pride. President Oaks points us toward humility. Both invite us to trust the Savior more fully.
In a world filled with voices competing for our attention, I am convinced that faith grows best when we surround ourselves with believers, hold fast to our covenants, and keep our eyes fixed on Jesus Christ.

No comments:
Post a Comment