Total Pageviews

Friday, June 12, 2026

The Plain and Precious Doctrine of Christ

I'm short on time this morning and a little frustrated that I couldn't spend longer in such an important chapter. There is so much to explore in 2 Nephi 31. Nephi lays out the doctrine of Christ in a way that is clear, simple, and impossible to misunderstand. Following Jesus Christ is the way back to our Heavenly Home.

One thought stood out to me: if Jesus Christ, who was perfect, needed to be baptized, how much more do I need baptism and its accompanying covenants? His example shows us the path:

  • Repent.
  • Be baptized by immersion of water. It matters.
  • Receive the Holy Ghost.
  • Follow Jesus Christ with a full purpose of heart.
  • Endure to the end.

Nephi adds another phrase that caught my attention: be willing to take upon us the name of Christ. Why "willing"? Perhaps because discipleship is not a single event but a daily choice. The Lord honors our willing hearts as we strive to follow Him.

We're also promised that if we follow this path, we will "speak with the tongue of angels." I've pondered that phrase before. How do angels speak? They speak God's words. They bring hope, truth, kindness, and direction.

Then Nephi tells us to press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope and a love of God and of all men. Hope, love of God, and love of others—those qualities lead us toward eternal life.

As I read, my mind wandered to 1 John and its promises of confidence in Christ and confidence in eternal life. Eternal life is more than living forever. It is life with God through His Son, Jesus Christ. To me, that means Christ will be with us in all that we do.

That thought led me to the promises made to Abraham and to the blessings offered through sacred covenants. God promised Abraham posterity, priesthood, and eternal blessings. Through Jesus Christ, those same promises are extended to all who follow Him.

There is much more in this chapter than I have time to write today. Perhaps I'll come back to it tomorrow. For now, this simple truth is enough: the doctrine of Christ is plain, precious, and powerful. The path home has been clearly marked by the Savior Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment