When President Oaks spoke in General Conference a few years ago, his entire talk consisted of scriptures. As I read it again this morning, I had the thought that every paragraph could stand alone as guidance worthy of posting on a mirror and memorizing. What a worthwhile goal—to memorize that talk one scripture at a time.
That thought was still on my mind as I read Jarom this morning.
Jarom tells us that he writes for the benefit of the Lamanites. Who were they to him? They were his relatives who had wandered from the covenant path. That struck me because it is one of the main reasons I write. I hope that somewhere down the road a child, grandchild, or great-grandchild might read something that awakens a memory and rekindles a desire to follow Christ.
Jarom describes the Lamanites as having hard hearts, deaf ears, blind eyes, and stiff necks. Yet he also testifies that God is exceedingly merciful. I love that contrast. No matter how far we wander, the Lord never stops reaching for us. The moment we show even the smallest desire to turn toward Him, He is ready to help us change.
Jarom also teaches that those who are not stiffnecked and who exercise faith can receive the Holy Spirit. That matters deeply to me. The Spirit of the Lord guides me in what I do and say. When I follow those promptings, I experience a joy that is sometimes difficult to express.
The Nephites, despite their imperfections, were striving to be a covenant-keeping people. They sought to do the will of the Lord and live in peace with one another. Because of their faithfulness, they were prepared when the Lamanites came against them.
That sounds familiar.
Our prophet has repeatedly warned us to prepare against the power of the destroyer. The dangers may look different than they did in Jarom's day, but they are no less real. We may not face javelins and armies, but we face influences that attack faith, distort truth, weaken families, and distract us from God. The battle is still being fought.
One verse especially caught my attention. Jarom says the prophets "threatened" the people that if they would not keep the commandments, they would be destroyed. Our prophets today usually emphasize promised blessings more than warnings, but the principle remains the same. God lovingly teaches us the consequences of our choices because He wants to spare us unnecessary suffering.
I wondered if that isn't still the answer today. The Nephites looked forward to the Messiah and believed in Him before they had seen Him. We look back with the knowledge that He came, and He lives, yet we are also looking ahead. Much of what our prophets teach is helping us prepare for the Savior's return. We are trying to become a people who know Him well enough that when He comes, we will recognize His voice and rejoice in His presence.
It still works today.
As I finished the chapter, I realized that nearly 240 years had passed since Lehi's family left Jerusalem. Through wars, trials, and opposition, the Nephites still had prophets among them because there were people willing to hear and follow God's voice.
Perhaps that is the lesson I needed today. The Lord has always reached out to His children through prophets, scriptures, and the Holy Ghost. The question is not whether He is speaking. The question is whether I am listening.

No comments:
Post a Comment