Jacob 6 doesn't bring me as much comfort as I wish it did.
As I read it, my thoughts turn to my covenant children who are far from the covenant path. I've heard many promises over the years that covenant children remember and that, though the journey may be difficult, they will return. I hold tightly to those promises.
Yet Jacob's words sometimes feel so final. Perhaps I'm still learning what he understood so well.
One phrase that stood out to me was Jacob's warning against becoming a "gainsaying people"—people who are quick to resist or dismiss the things of God. I found myself asking not who around me fits that description, but whether I am willing to hear and follow the Lord's voice.
Jacob ends with a simple plea: "Be wise; what can I say more?"
That counsel connected perfectly with President Oaks' General Conference message, Divine Helps for Mortality. God has not left us alone to navigate this life. Through the Restoration, covenants, and the companionship of the Holy Ghost, He has provided help for our journey back to Him.
I especially loved President Oaks' description of commandments as "required steps and guardrails." The world often sees them as restrictions, but they are really expressions of God's love. They keep us on the covenant path and lead us toward joy.
President Oaks also reminds us that spiritual strength comes through simple, consistent practices: prayer, scripture study, and frequent repentance. It isn't a complicated formula, but it is a powerful one.
I finished my study thinking about Jacob's final invitation to be wise. Perhaps wisdom is not found in knowing everything. Perhaps it is found in trusting the Lord enough to stay on the path He has marked out for us.
"The Lord doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him" (Helaman 12:1).

No comments:
Post a Comment