In Elder Oaks' April 2022 General Conference talk, he reminded me of Moses 1:39, which has always been one of my favorite verses:
"For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
President Oaks quoted Elder Quentin L. Cook, who said God's plan includes blessings "all of which are more wonderful than we can comprehend." I stopped when I read those words. More wonderful than we can comprehend. Perhaps that's exactly what faith requires us to believe.
As I pondered that thought, I realized the song I'm nearly ready to share is about this very kind of faith. Believing Christ and believing in Him are essential to our happiness in this life and to eternal life in the world to come.
President Oaks reminded us that the glory we receive in the Final Judgment will correspond to the laws we choose to live. President Nelson added another beautiful perspective: "Salvation is an individual matter; exaltation is a family matter."
That naturally led my thoughts to The Family: A Proclamation to the World, which teaches that gender is an essential characteristic of our premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose. This subject is never very far from my thoughts.
As a grandmother who deeply loves a grandchild who struggles with gender identity, I admit this is difficult for me. His struggle is real. I've known others whose feelings began as early as they can remember. It doesn't shake my faith, but it does leave me with questions. It feels unfair.
Then I remember that mortality has never been about fairness. Some are born with physical limitations. Others wrestle with mental illness, chronic pain, abusive parents, loneliness, or powerful temptations they never asked for. Every one of us carries something that reminds us why we need the Savior.
The encouraging part of President Oaks' message is that God's plan has already accounted for every challenge mortality brings. We may not understand every circumstance, but we do understand the path. The doctrine of Christ remains the same for every child of God. As we come unto Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and make and honor sacred covenants, He changes us. He carries us. He promises that every injustice and every unanswered question will one day be made right.
I had a relative who was born with a severe physical disability. She endured numerous surgeries and painful treatments that left her extremely unhappy. She was difficult to be around because life had become such a burden. Then she found Jesus Christ.
Nothing about her circumstances changed, but she changed. She radiated joy. I was too young then to understand what had happened, but I understand it now. She had come to know and love the Savior. She remained faithful for the rest of her life and became a bright spot in the lives of everyone who knew her.
Jesus Christ changes people. My own handicaps have been very different from hers, but He has changed me too. For that, I will be eternally grateful.
I still don't have all the answers, and perhaps I never will in this life. But I do know this: God's work and His glory are to bring His children home. If His plan is "more wonderful than we can comprehend," then I can trust Him with the things I cannot yet comprehend myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment