As I've been reading President Dallin H. Oaks' older conference talks, his October 2008 message reminded me why the sacrament meeting is the most sacred and important meeting in the Church.
He began with a question that feels especially relevant today. In these perilous times, when we can so easily become distracted, discouraged, or deceived, how do we have the Spirit of the Lord to guide our choices and keep us on the covenant path?
The Lord gives the answer plainly in Doctrine and Covenants 59:9–10: keep the Sabbath day holy.
That promise became very real to me as a young adult.
I grew up in a home where we were taught more by example than by lectures. My dad was a dairy farmer. Cows don't take Sundays off, but somehow he never let them take priority over the sacrament. We faithfully attended sacrament meeting because my parents understood what the Lord had promised.
One weekend while I was living in Ogden, I came home to visit. I wanted to leave early Sunday afternoon, but my mother insisted that I first attend sacrament meeting and partake of the sacrament. I did—but as soon as the ordinance was over, I left instead of staying for the remainder of the meetings.
If I'm honest, I wasn't hurrying home because of work or responsibility. I wanted to drive past the store where my boyfriend worked in hopes of catching a glimpse of him.
As I approached the intersection near the store, I was looking ahead instead of paying attention to the road. I missed a stop sign and plowed into a family's car as they were returning home from church. Their car was pushed into the corner of a nearby house. Several people were injured, and the property damage was extensive.
I've never doubted that if I had been where I should have been, the accident would never have happened.
My mother didn't need to say a word.
The consequences reached far beyond that afternoon. My dad's insurance premiums skyrocketed, and I had to purchase my own insurance at a cost I could barely afford. But the greatest lesson wasn't financial. It was spiritual.
That experience was one of the first times the Lord impressed upon me that keeping the Sabbath day holy truly is a commandment with a promise.
Two words from President Oaks' talk stood out to me: weekly and appropriately. At that point in my life, I was observing neither very well. I have come to believe that the promised blessings are connected to our willingness to do our part. Think about the the sacrament prayer. The word “willing” should be bolded. I feel the same way about “remember him”.
President Oaks reminds us that the companionship of the Holy Ghost is one of God's greatest gifts. If I truly want that gift every week, then I should prepare appropriately to receive it.
That preparation includes my attitude and my clothing. Our manner of dress reflects how we regard the sacred ordinance we are about to receive. Walking in late, treating the meeting casually, or allowing distractions to dominate our thoughts makes it harder to invite the Spirit.
After I partake of the sacrament, I try to keep my thoughts centered on the Savior. For me, that often means simply closing my eyes so I can focus on Him.
President Oaks also speaks of music as an important part of worship. As someone who loves sacred music, that reminder touched my heart. Reverent music helps prepare us to worship and to renew our covenants.
President Joseph Fielding Smith once taught:
"Amusement, laughter, light-mindedness, are all out of place in the sacrament meetings of the Latter-day Saints. We should assemble in the spirit of prayer, of meekness, with devotion in our hearts."
Those who prepare, bless, and pass the sacrament stand on sacred ground. So do we as we receive it.
The sacrament carries one of the sweetest promises in all of scripture—that we may always have His Spirit to be with us.
Every Sabbath, I find myself asking this question:
Am I preparing myself to receive that promise?

No comments:
Post a Comment