One of the lessons that stood out to me in this chapter is simply this: Be wise. Take time to consider. Be prayerful. Look down the road.
Mosiah did. He saw the long-term ramifications of having a king. History has certainly shown how that has played out since the beginning of time.
I smiled when I read the note I had written in my scriptures back in August 2021:
Be wise and look forward.
Such simple counsel, yet if we would all do that as we make decisions, what a difference it would make in our lives.
Did I carefully consider the long-term consequences of some of my poor choices? Honestly, not in a way that would have changed anything. I was young and foolish, to say the least. Isn't it interesting that we often make the decisions that affect the rest of our lives when we have the least experience? Career choices. Companion choices. So many life-altering decisions.
Be wise. What more is there to say? Consider the future before making today's decisions.
Even though I could easily pull on the political thread running through this chapter, I choose to focus on wisdom instead.King Mosiah had obviously spent considerable time thinking through solutions before proposing a system of judges with checks and balances. What a remarkable idea! Of course, it only works if we choose wise men and women who strive to keep the commandments of God.
Verse 19 has one of my favorite margin notes. Do we have any idea what a blessing it is that the Lord looked forward with hope? He knew we would make mistakes, yet He also provided a way for us to repent and move forward in righteousness. That truth means everything to me.
I will forever be grateful for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that made it possible for me to change my path. What a blessing that has been from that day forward.
But being delivered from bondage doesn't happen without action on our part. Notice what the people did:
- They humbled themselves before God. (How often do I truly humble myself?)
- They cried mightily unto Him. I can still remember one prayer in my own life that changed everything.
I have complete faith that this promise is true for anyone who humbly turns to God. I've seen it happen in my own life. I've watched it happen in the lives of others. And I know it can happen for those of my own children who are still wandering in the wilderness.
Verse 20 beautifully reinforces this promise. After they humbled themselves and cried mightily to God, He delivered them out of bondage.
Then comes this wonderful promise:
"...thus doth the Lord work with his power in all cases among the children of men, extending his arm of mercy towards them that put their trust in him."
That means me. It means you. It means every one of God's children.
The key is trust.
Trust that the Lord is personally invested in us. He created this magnificent earth with all its beauty for our benefit. Why would He bring us this far only to abandon us? He won't. He desires that we turn to Him in righteousness and ask for the things we truly need.
God is not a vending machine, though. We have to have skin in the game. Trust isn't a one-time event. It is something we choose daily—sometimes hourly—as we continue to follow Him.
It's tempting to make this chapter a political commentary, but I'll simply leave one important principle here. Verse 26 teaches us to "do your business by the voice of the people." I still choose to believe there are more good people than wicked people in our nation. Many have never heard or accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ, but that doesn't mean they aren't good people striving to do what is right.
The chapter ends on such a hopeful note. Alma the Younger became the first chief judge over the people while also serving as the high priest, having previously received that sacred office from his father. Basically, he is prophet and judge.
What a lovely ending—and a reminder that wisdom, righteousness, and trust in God bring peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment