Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Mosiah 9 – Remembering the Lord

Mosiah 9 is a short chapter, but it stirred a flood of memories for me.

 

Verse 17 speaks of famine, drought, war, and suffering. It made me wonder why hardship so often helps us remember the Lord. My nine years of wandering weren't all dark and miserable. There were enough enjoyable moments to keep me headed in the wrong direction. But eventually I began to notice something different in people who were living the gospel. They had something I desperately wanted.

 

They had peace.

 

Their homes were filled with love. They had hope that tomorrow could be better. They had strength to help others while overcoming their own weaknesses. I finally recognized that the road I was traveling would never lead me to that kind of life. So I made it my quest to change direction—to switch lanes and follow Jesus Christ.

 

How grateful I am for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which makes that change possible. I shudder to think where I would be without it.

 

Verse 18 reminds us that "God did hear their cries."

 

He heard mine too.

 

When I finally asked for help, the help came. Looking back, I can see that the Lord was preparing the way long before I recognized His hand. He has walked beside me every step of the journey, blessing me far beyond anything I could have imagined.

 

One of His greatest gifts was giving me a companion to walk beside me. Together we have raised our family, grown in our understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and helped each other become better disciples. Looking back, I can see the Lord's hand in every season of our lives.

 

Now, as I look beyond my own story, I also see His hand moving throughout the world as He prepares for His return. What once seemed like isolated events now feels like part of a much greater work, and I am grateful that He has opened my eyes to recognize it.

 

Sometimes I almost feel sheepish praying for peace in places torn apart by war or for rain in lands suffering from drought. Then I remember that He has invited us to ask. Whether the answer comes immediately or according to His timing, He hears every sincere prayer.

 

One final thought comes from verse 19. King Zeniff didn't stand back while others buried the dead. He worked right alongside his people.

 

Service.

 

I've learned that service brings real joy. Some of my happiest days have ended with complete exhaustion after serving someone else. Somehow, when we stop focusing on ourselves and begin lifting another person, our own burdens become lighter.

 

If life feels heavy today, one of the best remedies I know is to find someone to serve. Jesus taught that principle, and I can testify that it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment