Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 1, 2026

A Sacred Stewardship Worth Protecting

I don't pretend to understand everything there is to know about the United States Constitution or the complexities of constitutional law. There are people far more qualified than I am to teach those things. But I do believe the Constitution is a remarkable blessing, and I want to safeguard it as best I know how.

 

It saddens me when I see people dismiss it without realizing what a gift it is. As I studied President Dallin H. Oaks' April 2021 General Conference address, Defending Our Divinely Inspired Constitution, I found myself appreciating it even more.

 

The Lord declared that He "established" the Constitution "for the rights and protection of all flesh" (Doctrine and Covenants 101:77). That alone should cause us to pause. President Oaks reminds us that one of its greatest purposes is to preserve our moral agency.

 

I was also reminded that the Constitution gives us a voice. We have the privilege—and the responsibility—of choosing those who govern us. Government power ultimately rests with the people. Mobs do not change the law; citizens do. That makes every election a sacred stewardship. We should carefully consider those we place in positions of trust. I must take this a step further. If our vote is a sacred stewardship, then we also have a responsibility to protect the integrity of our elections. Every lawful citizen's vote should count, and our election process should inspire confidence and trust. That, too, is part of preserving the principles of the Constitution.

 

One thought especially stayed with me. The Constitution was not fully grown when it was written. It provides a process for amendments, allowing it to adapt while preserving its foundational principles. That means the people we elect matter. Changes can be made, but only through the constitutional process with its carefully designed checks and balances.

 

President Oaks also noted that the Bill of Rights did not appear out of nowhere. Its principles were influenced by centuries of English history, beginning with the Magna Carta, which established the remarkable idea that even government is subject to law. The Constitution built on those principles by protecting freedoms such as religion, speech, the press, and other individual rights.

 

I appreciated President Oaks' reminder that we are governed by laws—not by the will of individuals. Our system includes checks and balances to prevent any one person or branch from becoming too powerful. Those principles deserve our respect and our vigilance.

 

He also warned against diminishing the Constitution by viewing it merely through today's social trends rather than recognizing its purpose of preserving liberty and self-government. That thought gave me pause.

 

President Oaks encourages us to uphold and defend the Constitution and its inspired principles. He counsels us to pray for our leaders, to exercise our influence peacefully and civilly within the law, and to seek unity rather than division. I was especially interested that he even acknowledged there may be times when a political party no longer reflects our convictions and that thoughtful citizens should act according to principle.

 

One part of his counsel is more challenging for me. He says we should be knowledgeable citizens who make our influence felt in civic affairs. If I'm honest, I don't see myself as an influential person. Perhaps that comes from recognizing how much I still have to learn.

 

But then I remembered that influence comes in many forms.

 

I have served as a voting judge. I once served as a delegate—an experience that quickly taught me I was in over my head! That's what can happen when you attend a caucus meeting. (I can laugh about it now.) I've learned that I'm a better support person than a leader in those settings, and that's okay. The Lord needs both.

 

Maybe that's one of the lessons I needed from President Oaks' talk. The Lord isn't asking each of us to do everything. He asks us to do our part. We can study. We can pray. We can vote thoughtfully. We can speak with kindness. We can support good principles. And we can trust the Lord.

 

President Oaks concluded with hope for our nation's future. I appreciated that. Despite the challenges we see around us, I believe the Lord is aware of this nation and of all nations. My 

No comments:

Post a Comment