Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 14, 2026

A Song Worth Singing


Abinadi continued his testimony in Mosiah 15 by declaring that God Himself would come to earth to redeem His people. What courage that must have taken. He stood before people who mocked him and rejected his message, yet he could not remain silent. In many ways, Abinadi became a type of Christ—willing to suffer because he knew the truth of who Jesus is.

One verse especially caught my attention:

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings..."

I've often heard mountains compared to temples. Whether Isaiah intended that symbolism here or not, I love the thought that those who carry the good news of Jesus Christ are beautiful in the Lord's sight.

I also noticed Abinadi's wording in verse 19:

"Were it not for the redemption which he hath made for his people..."

He speaks of the Savior's redemption as though it has already happened, even though Christ's mortal ministry was still in the future. The plan of redemption was so certain that it could be spoken of in the past tense because it had been established before the foundation of the world.

As I reached the end of the chapter, another phrase stayed with me:

"Break forth into joy, sing together..."

That verse feels personal.

I never sang much until the gospel truly found a home in my heart. Then, almost unexpectedly, music awakened in me. Before long I was hearing songs and writing them. I've never had formal training, and my music will never top the charts, but for nearly fifty years it has been my way of bearing testimony of Jesus Christ.

As I pondered these verses, another memory came rushing back. When I was growing up, my dad often sang about those beautiful feet upon the mountains that bring good tidings. I don't remember all the words anymore, but I remember how he sang them. I didn't realize then that he was quietly teaching me to love the Savior.

Looking back, I wonder if Heaven was preparing me long before I recognized it. My father's voice planted a seed that the Lord would later help grow.

Now I understand the words of the Psalmist: "I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being" (Psalm 104:33).

That verse has become the desire of my heart. My songs will never make the world's charts, but if they help someone feel the Savior's love, then they have fulfilled the purpose I believe He gave them. If that has happened even for a few people, I have been blessed beyond anything I deserve. As long as the Lord continues to place music in my heart, I hope I'll keep writing it.

The world seems increasingly unsettled, just as the scriptures said it would before the Savior returns. I know difficult days still lie ahead, but they don't fill me with fear. They fill me with hope.

Because I know who is coming.

And that is a song worth singing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment