There's nothing like a wicked king to remind you why the only King I truly want is Jesus Christ.
Every time I read about King Noah, I'm reminded that no earthly leader can save us. Governments matter, elections matter, and good leaders matter—but only one King can redeem us. My hope isn't ultimately in a political party or a candidate. It is in Jesus Christ.
The parting thought from Mosiah 11 wasn't just King Noah's wickedness. It was that "the eyes of the people were blinded." That stopped me. A corrupt leader cannot lead people astray unless many begin listening to him. It caused me to ask a much harder question: Where might my own eyes be blinded? Am I allowing the voices of the world to drown out the voice of the prophet?
As I pondered the chapter, my thoughts began drifting toward politics, and that's not what I wanted this blog to become. So I shelved it. The rest of my day felt strangely anxious. With our remodeling project going on, I realized I needed somewhere quiet. I found myself sitting in the temple chapel with a few extra minutes to read Mosiah 12. My mind was calmer, and I could hear the message more clearly.
I always smile when I read Mosiah 12:1. Abinadi disguised himself and then announced exactly who he was. It just makes me smile.
His message, however, is anything but lighthearted. It is just as relevant today as it was 148 years before the birth of Christ. Our prophets have repeatedly taught that the Book of Mormon was written for our day. Abinadi's call to repent is also a call to each of us.
Repentance simply means changing direction—turning away from what isn't leading us to Christ and turning back toward Him.
If we ignore that invitation, we too can find ourselves in bondage. Truthfully, I don't believe it's simply an angry God who inflicts punishment. I've learned from experience that our own sins bring us into bondage. They blind us to the mercies of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and little by little we find ourselves walking paths we never imagined taking when we first stepped onto them.
King Noah's story isn't just a warning about a wicked ruler. It's an invitation to make sure the One I choose to follow is the true King of Kings.

No comments:
Post a Comment