As I've been studying President Dallin H. Oaks' older conference talks, one from April 2009 stopped me in my tracks. Unselfish Service reminded me why service has always been such a defining part of life as a Latter-day Saint.
President Oaks quoted President Gordon B. Hinckley:
"He who lives only unto himself withers and dies, while he who forgets himself in the service of others grows and blossoms in this life and in eternity."
President Thomas S. Monson added another profound truth:
"You can never love the Lord until you serve Him by serving His people."
Those statements made me think of a family reunion many years ago.
Meals were assigned to different branches of the family. My mother's family, along with one of my Latter-day Saint aunts, prepared enough food not only for everyone attending but also with leftovers for any friends who might wander into camp later. That's just what we'd learned from years of ward dinners, funeral meals, youth activities, and countless Church gatherings.
Another uncle's family, who were not members of our faith, had never had those experiences. They simply underestimated how much food was needed. Those at the front of the line ate well, but the food was gone long before everyone had been served.
Without hesitation, my mother, grandmother, and aunt disappeared into their trailers and returned carrying food they could spare. Before long, another feast had appeared. I remember watching everyone else marvel at what had happened.
I wasn't surprised.
I knew exactly where that instinct came from.
Years of serving had taught them to anticipate needs, to work together, and to quietly sacrifice for others. Those weren't just cooking skills—they were discipleship skills.
It also explains why serving as camp food director for fifty Young Women and leaders never intimidated me. I loved it! We ate well because years of Church service had quietly prepared me for the assignment.
President Oaks taught:
"Our willingness to sacrifice and our skills in cooperative efforts come from our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, from the inspired teachings of our leaders, and from the commitments and covenants we knowingly make."
Someone might ask, "What do you get out of all that service?"
My answer comes quickly.
You gain experience. You gain confidence. You discover you can do hard things. More importantly, you become someone who naturally looks outward instead of inward.
President Oaks reminds us of a warning to the early Saints about having "their minds on the things of the earth more than on the things of the Lord." That counsel is just as relevant today. Our covenants continually invite us to look beyond ourselves and remember who we are becoming.
One thought from his talk is worth mentioning:
"If we love and serve one another as the Savior taught, we remain connected to our covenants and to our associates."
I also love a quote worth remembering:
"I go to church each week with the intent of being active, not passive, and making a positive difference in people's lives. Consequently, my attendance at Church meetings is so much more enjoyable and fulfilling."
That has been my experience too. I love arriving early so I can freely visit with friends I haven’t seen for at least a week.
I'm happiest when I focus on what I can give instead of what I can get. It simply isn't a very good day if I haven't found some way to bless another person.
The gospel of Jesus Christ isn't just teaching us to do good things. It's patiently shaping us into good people. Every casserole prepared, every funeral dinner served, every youth camp organized, every quiet act of kindness is helping us become a little more like the Savior.
And in the end, I believe that's what we really get out of serving.
Thank you, President Oaks, for a reminder that, though given years ago, is as timely today as ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment