Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Mosiah 27 – The Powerful Work of God

The story of Alma the Younger has always been a source of inspiration and comfort to me. It also reinforces something I've been feeling throughout these last few chapters: the Lord is in the business of gathering His children on both sides of the veil.

Can you imagine living in a society where there was no persecution, no pride, no haughtiness, where neighbors truly treated one another as equals, and leaders worked for their own support? What a remarkable place that would be. We strive for those ideals today, but our own weaknesses often get in the way.

For a time, Alma's people experienced much of that peace. "The Lord did visit them and prosper them, and they became a large and wealthy people." Yet even among such a blessed people, there were sons and daughters who chose not to believe.

Isn't that still true today?

As parents and grandparents, it's hard not to wish an angel would appear to our wandering loved ones as one did to Alma and the sons of Mosiah. Wouldn't that make things easier?

I hesitate to make this story about me, but Mosiah 27 reminds me of one of the defining moments of my own life.

Before my conversion, I found myself in a situation that I knew would lead to my ruin. I was terrified and had no idea what to do. For the first time in eight years, I truly prayed. My prayer was simple:

"Heavenly Father, I can't keep going on. Please answer my parents' prayers for me. I'll do whatever You need me to do. If You need to wreck my car or even hurt me, I'm okay with that. I'm ready to change."

When I stood up and walked into the bathroom to change my clothes, the phone rang.

That phone call changed the course of my life.

I climbed back into bed and slept peacefully through the night. From that moment forward, I was different. I had been taught the truth in my youth, and I knew exactly where to go. I never looked back.

I didn't see an angel, and the earth didn't shake. But I have never doubted that I was rescued by a power beyond this world. Faithful parents and other earthly angels had prepared the way, and the Spirit called me back to the covenant path. Like Alma, I felt I had been born again. I knew I had been "snatched from an everlasting burning."

Verse 31 is a sober reminder that it is far better to experience that mighty change of heart during mortality than to wait until we stand before God.

How do we recognize true repentance? Verse 32 gives a beautiful answer. Those who have truly changed spend the rest of their lives bearing witness of Jesus Christ and helping others come unto Him. They become instruments in His hands.

That is exactly what Alma and the sons of Mosiah did. They dedicated the remainder of their lives to bringing souls to their Redeemer, and the Lord richly blessed them.

You can probably see why this chapter has always been so dear to me. In many ways, it tells my story too. And like Alma, I can only testify that the Lord has blessed me far beyond what I deserve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment