Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Mosiah 25 – The Same God, Different Stories

As I began reading Mosiah 25, I realized I needed a refresher on Mulek. That led me to something I had forgotten. This chapter is one great gathering.

The Mulekites had been preserved from Jerusalem. The Nephites had been led away from Jerusalem and later from the land of Nephi. Limhi's people escaped Lamanite bondage through careful planning. Alma's people were delivered by miraculous intervention as the Lord literally lightened their burdens. Different journeys. The same God.

When everyone gathered and heard each other's stories, they marveled. Their response wasn't simply amazement—it was gratitude. They praised God.

That made me think about Fast and Testimony Meeting. As we hear one another's experiences, our own faith grows. We remember that the same God who delivered them delivered me and is still delivering His people today.

It also reminds me to look for the Lord's hand in my own life. Rescue doesn't always come in dramatic ways. Sometimes it's as simple as a neighbor asking for help, giving us the opportunity to be the Lord's hands. The miracle is having eyes to recognize His tender mercies.

I also found myself thinking about loved ones who aren't gathering. There is real heartache in watching children or grandchildren choose another path. Yet the doctrine gives hope. The Atonement is real, and the Lord's promises are sure. We can choose to gather now or later, but His work is to gather His children.

Alma's message to every group was remarkably simple: faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and repentance. Those same principles still gather us today.

As I read about Alma baptizing the people of Zarahemla, I wished that blessing for those I love. Then another thought came. Baptism isn't the only covenant that changes us. Every time a covenant member partakes of the sacrament with real intent, the renewing power of Christ is available. I've seen that power at work in my own live and in one of my daughters. It gives me hope for the others.

The chapter closes with these words:

"Whosoever were desirous to take upon them the name of Christ... they did join the churches of God; and they were called the people of God. And the Lord did pour out his Spirit upon them, and they were blessed." (Mosiah 25:23–24)

That's still how it works.

Faith. Repentance. Covenants. Gathering. And the Lord pours out His Spirit upon His people.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment