Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Mosiah 24 – Visited in our Afflictions

At this time, the name of the king was Laman. Having the king in charge being  named after Laman would hardly give me warm fuzzies. Even worse, imagine having one of King Noah's wicked priests appointed to teach you. Before long, the same wickedness that destroyed King Noah's people spread until it reached Alma's people.

This time, what caught my attention wasn't just the bondage—it was how gradually it happened.

First came influence. Amulon became their teacher.

Then came authority. Taskmasters were placed over Alma's people.

Then came persecution. I had never noticed this detail before: Amulon caused that his children should persecute the children of Alma. Hatred had become generational.

Finally, the burdens became so heavy the people could scarcely bear them.

What did they do?

They cried mightily unto God.

When Amulon discovered they were praying for deliverance, he commanded that anyone caught praying should be put to death. So they stopped praying aloud, but they did not stop praying. This is instructive: They poured out their hearts silently, and the Lord knew "the thoughts of their hearts."

I love that verse.

Some of my sweetest prayers have been silent ones—in the car, while walking, or during the ordinary moments of the day. The Lord hears those prayers the same.

The Lord didn't remove Alma's burdens immediately. Instead, He strengthened them so their burdens became light, and they "did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

Those are covenant blessings.

Then came His promise: He would deliver them from bondage. Before leading them safely to Zarahemla, He taught them why:

"That ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." (Mosiah 24:14)

I have lived that verse.

There was a season in my life when I felt trapped, simply putting one foot in front of the other. When my focus turned to the Lord, He didn't remove every difficulty, but He broke the chains that held me. I watched Him work in the details of my life. His hand was visible. It was tangible.

Since then I've learned that covenant blessings don't mean smooth roads. They mean the Lord strengthens us in our burdens, visits us in our afflictions, and delivers us according to His wisdom.

Why?

So we can stand as witnesses of Him.

That is why I keep serving, even when life feels busy or my schedule seems impossible. My children tease me that I create my own stress, and they're probably right. But everything I do is because I love the Savior. He delivered me through His mercy and grace. I saw it. I know it.

Every chance I get, I want to bear witness that He truly does visit His children in their afflictions.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment